Understanding Amendment 1 and Amendment 4 in Florida
Amendment 1 (NOvember) is bad. Why?
A vote "for" the measure supports adding a section in the state constitution giving residents of Florida the right to own or lease solar energy equipment for personal use while also enacting constitutional protection for any state or local law ensuring that residents who do not produce solar energy can abstain from subsidizing its production. A vote "against" the measure opposes the addition of the right to own or lease solar equipment and the protection of laws preventing subsidization of solar energy to the constitution.
Sounds good right? That's the tricky piece. Lets break it down.
1. This law was backed by the corporate powerhouse utilities like Duke and FPL. That creates some suspicion, but isn't a crime.
2. We already have the right to own solar energy equipment and no State in the Union will or can take that away. Again, a little fishy.
3. The right to Lease solar equipment in the state of Florida would actually be a good thing. This would allow for more no-money-down options for homeowners and businesses and reduce the need for long term care and maintenance. But......
4. The problem is this: 'while also enacting constitutional protection for any state or local law ensuring that residents who do not produce solar energy can abstain from subsidizing its production.' This is VERY DAMAGING to the financial model we have in Florida. This language, if passes, means that the big utilities in the State of Florida could bring all solar users to court. They could argue that the use of net-metering is unconstitutional in that it forces non-solar users to subsidize the production of the grid by allowing us to feed energy back into the network.
Vote NO in NOvember.
Amendment 1 (August) is GOOD
A vote "for" the measure would provide tax exemptions for solar power and other renewable energy equipment included in home values for property taxes. A vote "against" the measure would prevent tax exemptions for renewable energy equipment.
Sounds good right? That's because it is Good!
1. Just as it states, a law 'for' would provide tax exemptions for renewable energy equipment on your home or business.
2. This amendment was a grassroots effort by the group Floridians for Solar Choice.